Douglas: Gaiety Theatre

Country: Isle of Man
City: Douglas
Location: Harris Promenade

Built 1893 as "Pavilion" for Richard Maltby Broadbent. 1899 purchased by the Palace and Derby Castle Company. 1899 extensive rebuilding by Frank Matcham. Re-opened 16 July 1900 as "Gaiety Theatre" with C. M. S. McLellan and Gustave Kerker's "The Telephone Girl". In the 1920s also used as a cinema. 1971 purchased by the Isle of Man Government. 1976 and in the 1990s restorations. Re-opened 17 July 2000 again with "The Telephone Girl". Used for drama, opera and musical performances. 898 seats.

Links: www.villagaiety.com, Wikipedia

[Douglas: Gaiety Theatre] Stamp (Isle of Man, 29 Apr 1987)
Text: "The Gaiety Theatre, Douglas", "Europa"

[Douglas: Gaiety Theatre] Stamps (Isle of Man, 2000)
Text: "Gaiety Theatre Centenary"; "Ballet", "Comedy", "Drama", "Panto", "Opera", "Musicals"


To CARTHALIA Homepage.