|Dublin / Baile Átha Cliath: Abbey Theatre (old)|
City: Dublin / Baile Átha Cliath
Location: 26 Lower Abbey Street
Built as "Mechanics' Theatre". 1904 rebuilding, adding a neighbour building in Marlborough Street. Opened 27 December 1904 as "Abbey Theatre". Used by the resident drama company. Destroyed by fire on 17 July 1951.
Subsequently, the Abbey Theatre company relocated to the Queen's Theatre until 1966. 1961 the remains of the old theatre were demolished. 1963-1966, a new Abbey Theatre was built on the site.
Notable world premieres:
First Day Cover (Ireland/Éire, 27 Feb 2004)|
Front Picture: very left: Abbey Theatre logo, center: new Abbey Theatre, right: old Abbey Theatre
Stamp picture: Abbey Theatre logo
Size: 19 x 12.5 cm
|Permanent link: http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/433|