Amsterdam: Paleis voor Volksvijt

Country: Netherlands (Nederland)
Province: Noord-Holland
City: Amsterdam
Location: Frederiksplein

[Palace for the People's Diligence]

Built 1858-1864 by Cornelis Outshoorn. Opened 16 Aug 1864. Used for large-scale exhibitions and events. 1883 addition of a shopping gallery, "De Galerij". Due to financial problems, the hall was divided in separate halls in the early 1890s:

  • Concert hall "Concertzaal", opened 2 October 1890. In 1916, the Cavaillé-Coll organ (built 1875) is sold to the Concertgebouw at Haarlem.
  • Theatre hall "Paleisschouwburg", opened 13 Oct 1890 with "Stanley in Afrika". Capacity: 1500 persons (1890), 1350 persone (1894), 1112 persons (1908). Used for opera, operetta, and popular theatre performances. 1883 extension by an apartment and shopping wing, "De Galerij".
  • Small theatre hall "Kleine Zaal", opeend 3 November 1893 with Henrik Ibsen's "Rosmersholm".
1894 rebuildings by W. F. K. Roemer. 1922-1929 various rebuildings. Destroyed by a fire on 18 April 1929, leaving only the shopping mall "Galerij" intact. In 1961, the "Galerij" was demolished and the national reserve bank headquarters were built on the site. Since 2002 a citizens' group around Wim T. Schippers campaigns for the demolition of the bank building and the reconstruction of the Paleis voor Volksvlijt.

Link: www.paleisvoorvolksvlijt.nl

[Amsterdam: Paleis voor Volksvlijt] Front Text: "Amsterdam - Het Paleis van Volksvlijt"
Publisher: J. H. Schaefer, Amsterdam; 1900
Size: Classic
Type: Undivided Back
Sent: from the Netherlands to Hamburg (Germany), 1900 [postmark partly illegible]

[Amsterdam: Paleis voor Volksvlijt] Front Text: "Amsterdam, Het Paleis van Volksvlijt"
Publisher: Kunstanstalt Lautz & Balzar, Darmstadt; D 60020
Size: Classic
Type: Undivided Back
Sent: from Amsterdam to Dordrecht, 1906

Permanent link: http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/491

CARTHALIA Homepage