|Oradea: Teatrul de Stat|
City: Oradea (Nagyvárad, Großwardein)
Built 1899-1900 as "Szigligeti Színhzáz/Stadttheater" for the city of Nagyvárad/Großwardein by Ferdinand Fellner & Hermann Helmer. The building of the theatre was made possible by a foundation set up by Hungarian merchants. Opened 15 Oct 1900 with a gala including works by A. Várâdi and Ferenc Erkel. Hungarian coat of arms in tympanon removed in 1919 when Oradea became a part of Romania, tympanon relief decoration removed in 1928. Renamed "Teatrul Maria Regina". Later renamed "Teatrul de Stat". Renovated in 1933 and in 1997/1998 (declared as "renovation", but actually only newly paint). Ca. 1000 seats.
Front Text: "Nagyvárad - Szigligeti-szinház - Szigligeti Theater"|
Type: Divided Back
Picture: letters on building: "Teatrul de Stat"|
Reverse Text: "Oradea, Teatrul de Stat - The State Theatre - Le Théâtre d'Etat - Das Staatstheater"
Handwritten Reverse Text: dated 16 June 1988
To CARTHALIA Homepage.