|Chernivtsi: Teatr im. Olgi Kobylyanskoy|
Country: Ukraine (Ukraina)
City: Chernivtsi (Czernowitz, Cernauti, Tchernovzy)
Location: Teatralna ploshcha 1 (formerly: Elisabethplatz)
Built 1904-1905 as "Stadttheater" for the city of Czernowitz by Ferdinand Fellner & Hermann Helmer. The design had been projected for Chernivtsi in 1900, but the project was put on hold for several years. Subsequently, the plans were first used by Fellner & Helmer for the Stadttheater Fürth (Germany) in 1901-1902. As the Chernivtsi project was taken up again, the original plans were used with slight alterations. Hence, the theatres at Chernivtsi and Fürth are very similar in appearance.
Opened 3 October 1905 with Anton Norst's prologue "Der Musen Einzug", Beethoven's ouverture "Die Weihe des Hauses", and Franz von Schönthan's comedy "Maria Theresia". 813 seats. When Czernowitz became the Romanian city of Cernauti, the theatre was renamed "Teatrul National" on 2 January 1922. Subsequently, the Schiller statue in front of the theatre was removed. After Cernauti became Ukrainian, the theatre was renamed in honour of the Ukrainian poet, Olga Kobylyanska whose statue is located in front of the theatre.
Front Text: "Cernauti - Teatrul national"|
Publisher: Leon Känig, Cernauti. Nr. 10 - 1930.
Type: Divided Back
Reverse Text: "Chernivtsi - Muzichny-dramatichny teatr im. O. Kobilyanskoy"|
Reverse Text: "Chernivtsi - Musiko-dramatichny teatr im. O. Kobilyanskoy"|
Publisher: Radyanska Ukraina, Kiev; 1973
|Permanent link: http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/704|