|Lyon: Célestins, Théâtre de Lyon|
Department, Region: Rhône, Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes
Location: 4, rue Charles Dullin / place des Célestins
[First theatre building on the site built 1792 as "Théâtre des Varietés", replacing the former Templars' Covent, "Couvent des Célestins". Destroyed by fire in 1871. 1873-1877 rebuilt by Gaspard-Abraham André. Re-opened 1 Aug 1877 as "Théâtre des Célestins". Again destroyed by fire on 25/26 May 1880.]
Current theatre built 1880-1881 as "Théâtre des Célestins" by Gaspard-Abraham André. Decorations by Cochet and Flachet. Opened 21 Nov 1881. Major restoration 1988-1992. Originally 1250 seats, currently 857 seats. Used for drama performances by the resident company.
Notable world premieres:
Front Text: "Lyon - Le Théâtre des Célestins", inscription: "Théâtre"|
Type: Divided Back
Sent: from Lyon to Voitsberg (Austria), 1913 (?)
Front Text: inscription: "Théâtre"|
Reverse Text: "Lyon - Le Théâtre des Célestins, Architecte: Gaspard André"
Publisher: Editions La Cigogne, Hachette, Lyon; 69-123.303
|Permanent link: http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/1315|