|Paris: Gaumont Palace|
Department, Region: Paris, Īle-de-France
Location: Place de Clichy / Rue Caulincourt / Rue Forest
[First entertainment venues on the site: Hippodrome du Champ de Mars (destroyed 1889) and Hippodrome de l'Alma (destroyed 1892).]
Built 1897-1899 as "Hippodrome" by Cambon, Galeron, and Duray for a British and French private society. Opened 13 May 1900 with the "equestrian pantomime", "Vercingetorix". Used for large-scale equestrian spectacles, historical reconstructions, opera and ballet performances, and various sport events. Capacity: 8000 persons (5000 seats, 3000 on the promenades). 1903-1907 used as a circus, also known as "Cirque Bostock".
1911 conversion to a cinema. Re-opened as "Gaumont Palace" (3400 seats, then the largest cinema in the world). Used as a cinema and for various variety and music hall performances.
Ca. 1930 major exterior and interior rebuilding by Henri Belloc (6000 seats). Re-opened 17 Jun 1931. Demolished 1972 in favour of an office and hotel block. The 1931 cinema organ has survived and is now located at Nogent-sur-Marne.
Picture: ca. 1903-1907|
Front Text: "Paris, L'Hippodrome", inscriptions: "Bostock", "Hippodrome"
Type: Divided Back
|Permanent link: http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/1363|