Paris: L'Odéon - Théâtre de l'Europe

Country: France
Department, Region: Paris, Île-de-France
City: Paris
Location: 1, place Paul Claudel / place de l'Odéon

Built 1780-1782 as "Théâtre-Français" by Marie-Joseph Peyre and Charles de Wailly for the drama company, "Les Comédiens ordinaires du Roi" (later known as "Comédie-Française"). Opened 9 Apr 1782 by Queen Marie-Antoinette. 1789 renamed "Théâtre de la Nation". 1794 auditorium transformed from the original box layout to an "egalitarian" amphitheatrical layout. Re-opened 27 June 1794 as "Théâtre de l'égalité". 1794 renamed "Théâtre du Peuple". 1796 renamed "Théâtre de l'Odéon". Destroyed by a fire on 18 Mar 1799. Subsequently rebuilt by Chalgrin. Re-opened 15 June 1808 as "Théâtre de Sa Majesté l'Impératrice et Reine". 1814 declared a Royal theatre. Again destroyed by a fire on 20 Mar 1818. Subsequently rebuilt by Baraguey and Prévost. Re-opened Sep 1819 as "Théâtre de l'Odéon", also known as "Second Théâtre-Français". Foyers used as a military hospital during the siege of Paris in 1870. 1888 electrification. 1906 auditorium alterations (reducing the capacity by 300 seats). Major renvations in the 1930s. 1941 renamed "Théâtre national de l'Odéon". From 1946, also known as "Salle Luxembourg", from 1959 also known as "Théâtre de France". 1965 new ceiling decoration by André Masson. 1966-1967 extension by the studio stage "Petit-Odéon" (opened Jan 1967 with a drama by Nathalie Sarraute). In the 1960s and 1970s, used for performances by the "Théâtre des Nations" and other guest companies. 1971 declared a national theatre with an orientation towards progressive national and international drama. From 1978, again used as a second home to the "Comédie-Française" and for guest performances. From 1983, also used by the "Théâtre de l'Europe" company. On 1 June 1990, renamed "Odéon - Théâtre de l'Europe" and declared independent. Subsequently mainly used for original language performances of European drama. 1995 installation of the theatre library, "Bibliothèque Jean-Louis Barrault".

Notable world premieres:

  • Pierre-Augustin Caron de Beaumarchais: Le Mariage de Figaro (27 Apr 1784)
  • Wagner: Tannhäuser (Paris version, 13 Mar 1861)
  • Alphonse Daudet: L'Arlesienne (with music by Georges Bizet, 1885)
  • Marguerite Duras: Des Journées Entières dans les Arbres (1 Dec 1965)
  • Jean Genet: Les Paravents (16 May 1966)
  • Jean-Claude Grumberg: Dreyfus... (29 Jan 1974)
  • Jean-Claude Grumberg: L'Atelier (18 Apr 1979)

Link: www.theatre-odeon.fr

[Paris: L'Odeon - Theatre de l'Europe] Front Text: "Paris, Théâtre de l'Odéon", inscription: "Théâtre National de l'Odéon"
Type: Undivided Back
Size: Classic
Sent: from Paris to Amsterdam (Netherlands), 1904

[Paris: L'Odeon - Theatre de l'Europe] Front Text: "Paris, Théâtre de l'Odéon", inscription: "Théâtre National de l'Odéon"
Type: Undivided Back
Size: Classic
Sent: from Paris to Aarau (Switzerland), 1904

[Paris: L'Odeon - Theatre de l'Europe] Picture: rear view
Front Text: "Paris, Le Théâtre de l'Odéon"
Publisher: Aqua-Foto, L. V. & Cie.
Type: Divided Back
Size: Classic
Not sent.

[Paris: L'Odeon - Theatre de l'Europe] Picture: booksellers in the Odéon colonnades
Front Text: "Paris .. en flanant. Les Arcades de l'Odeon"
Publisher: Yvon, Paris; Serie 12; 221
Type: Divided Back
Size: Classic
Not sent.

[Paris: L'Odeon - Theatre de l'Europe] Front Text: "Paris, Théâtre National de l'Odéon"
Type: Real Photo
Size: Classic
Not sent.

[Paris: L'Odeon - Theatre de l'Europe] Front Text: inscription: "Odéon", "Théâtre de France"
Reverse Text: "Sous le ciel de Paris. Le Théâtre de l'Odéon"
Publisher: Editions P I., Paris; A 87
Size: Modern
Not sent.

Permanent link: http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/1375

CARTHALIA Homepage