|Toulouse: Théâtre du Capitole|
Department, Region: Haute-Garonne, Midi-Pyrénées
Location: place du Capitole
Built 1736-1737 by Guillaume Cammas as "Théâtre du Capitole", at the site of a previous building used for theatre performances since the 16th century. Opened 11 June 1737. 1750 installation of a façade by Guillaume Cammas, combining various buildings to a single town hall/theatre complex. 1795 renamed "Théâtre de la République". Closed 1800. Re-opened 1808. 1818 completely rebuilt within the existing exterior walls (1950 seats). Re-opened 1 Oct 1818 with "Les Jeux de l'amour et du hasard" and "Le Souper de Madelon". 1819, 1820, 1822, 1830, 1833, 1835 various rebuildings. 1880 major interior rebuilding by Dieulafoy and Thillet. Decoration by Ponsin-Andarahy, Laporte, Maurette, and Bernard Bénezet. Re-opened 1 Oct 1880. Destroyed by a fire on 10 Aug 1917. Subsequently rebuilt. Re-opened Nov 1923. Used for opera and ballet performances by the resident companies.
Front Text: "Toulouse - Capitole - Le Théâtre"|
Type: Divided Back
Front Text: "Toulouse - Midi Pyrénées"|
Reverse Text: "Toulouse - Capital de Midi-Pyrénées - La pace du Capitole" (sic!)
Publisher: Apa-Poux, Albi
To CARTHALIA Homepage.