Country: Germany (Deutschland)
Location: Schrannenplatz 8
Built c. 1460 as Franciscan Church, rebuilt in the 17th century. 1803 conversion to a theatre. Opened 12 Oct 1803 as "Adeliges Gesellschaftstheater" with the play "Die Dienstpflicht". 1872 acquired by the city of Amberg. 1953 closed due to lacking fire safety. 1975–1978 major rebuilding, reversing auditorium and stage spaces, reusing the original auditorium balconies. Installation of a foyer in the former church choir. Re-opened 12 Oct 1978 with Mozart's "Don Giovanni". 2008-2010 major technical renovation. 600 seats.
Used for guest peformances by touring companies and orchestras.
Picture: middle above and below: Stadttheater after the 1970 re-opening|
Front Text: "Amberg/Opf.; Nabburger Tor, Stadttheater, St. Martin m. Schiffbrücke, Stadtbrille, Stadttheater, Henkerbergl"
Publisher: Cramers Kunstanstalt, Dortmund; Ab 507 80/6
To CARTHALIA Homepage.