Country: Germany (Deutschland)
Location: E.T.A.-Hoffmann-Platz 5 (Schillerplatz)
Built 1808 as a ballroom and theatre by Ferdinand von Hohenhausen for count Julius von Soden and Nanette Kauer. Opened 16 Oct 1808 with E. T. A. Hoffmann's "Das Gelübde" and Vogel's "Clementine". 1862 auditorium rebuilding by Karl-Georg-Lang. Since 1937, operated by the city of Bamberg. 1953-1958 restoration by Toni Schenk and Wilhelm Zimmer to the 1862 designs. 1981 façade restorations. 2000-2003 major restoration and extension by a foyer, modernization of stage technology. Re-opened Oct 2003 with E. T. A. Hofmann's "Der Sandmann". Named in honour of the German poet and composer, Ernst Theodor Amadeus Hoffmann (1776-1822), who from 1808 to 1813 worked for the theatre as a conductor, decorator and author. Used for drama performances by the resident company.
Picture: second building from the right: E.T.A.-Hoffmann-Theater|
Front Text: "Bamberg, Schillerplatz mit Stadttheater"
Publisher: Schlesische Lichtdruck- u. graph. Kunstanstalt, Breslau (Tivoli)
Type: Divided Back
Sent: from Bamberg to Etterzhausen, 1911
To CARTHALIA Homepage.