|Berlin: Konzerthaus Clou|
Country: Germany (Deutschland)
Location: Mitte, Mauerstraße 82 / Zimmerstraße 90-91
Built 1883-1886 as municipal market hall, "Markthalle III", by Hermann Blankenstein. 1910-1912 converted to a concert hall and restaurant by Johannes Kraaz. Re-opened 1912 as "Konzerthaus Clou". Used for concerts and variety perfoprmances. On 1 May 1927, the hall was the venue of Adolf Hitler's first speech to a mass audience in Berlin. Closed as an entertainment venue in 1943. From 1943, the hall was used as "Lager IV", one of four Berlin "Sammellager" camps where thousands of Jewish slave workers were detained before they were deported to extermination camps in Eastern Europe. Destroyed by bombs in World War II.
[After World War II, a factory building was built on the site. Currently the site is used by several art galleries.]
Reverse Text: "Clou - Berliner Konzerthaus"|
Publisher: Kunstverlag Paul Kaufmann, Wilmersdorf-Berlin
Sent: from Berlin to Wittenberg, 1912
Front Text: "Berliner Konzert-Haus, Mauerstr. 82 - Zimmerstr. 90-91"|
Publisher: Kunstverlag Paul Kaufmann, Berlin-Wilmersdorf
Sent: by German Forces' Postal Service, from Berlin to Ruhla, 1917
To CARTHALIA Homepage.