|Berlin: Haus der Kulturen der Welt|
Country: Germany (Deutschland)
Location: Tiergarten, In den Zelten / John-Foster-Dulles-Allee 10
Built 1956-1957 by Hugh Stubbins as "Kongreßhalle" for the Benjamin-Franklin-Stiftung, as the U. S. American contribution to the international architecture exhibition, "Interbau 1957". The complex included a convention centre, function rooms, and a theatre hall. Opened 19 Sep 1957 with theatre performances, concerts and various symposia. The freely sweeping roof construction collapsed on 21 May 1980, killing one person. 1982-1986 rebuilding. 1988 renamed "Haus der Kulturen der Welt" [House of the Cultures of the World]. Since then, used as an intercultural meeting place offering a wide range of exhibitions, conferences, lectures, concerts, films, and theatre performances.
Front Text: "Berlin Kongresshalle"; above: "Auditorium Maximum", "Foyer", "Theatersaal" [theatre hall, see detail below]; middle: exterior view; below: "Restaurant", "Sitzungssaal" [function room], "Empfangshalle" [foyer]|
Publisher: Verlag Carl Köfer, Berlin-Charlottenburg; G 1183
To CARTHALIA Homepage.