|Berlin: Schaubühne am Lehniner Platz|
Country: Germany (Deutschland)
Location: Wilmersdorf, Kurfürstendamm 153 / Lehniner Platz
Built 1927-1929 as "Universum-Kino" cinema by Erich Mendelsohn, as a part of the WOGA-Komplex (built 1926-1931) that also included the cabaret "Kabarett der Komiker" (built 1926-1928), a restaurant, a hotel, shops and apartments. Later renamed "Kino Capitol", and "Café Ricci". All parts of the WOGA-Komplex were severely damaged in World War II.
"Universum-Kino" building partly reconstructed in 1950/1951. 1963 façade restorations. 1963-1964 partly reconstruction of the whole complex by F. H. Sobotka and G. Müller. 1975-1981 major reconstruction of the "Universum-Kino" building by Jürgen Sawade to the original exterior designs and altered interior designs. Reopened 20 Sep 1981 as "Schaubühne am Lehniner Platz" with Aeschylus's "Oresteia". Home to the "Schaubühne" drama company that had previously operated at the "Schaubühne am Halleschen Ufer".
Notable world premieres:
Picture: interior of Kabarett der Komiker, 1938|
Front Text: "Kabarett der Komiker", signed: Roetke 38
Reverse Text: "Berlin-Halensee, Kurfürstendamm 156", "Willi Schaeffers"
Picture: Universum-Kino after the 1951 rebuilding|
Front Text: "Berlin im Wiederaufbau - Kurfürstendamm - Lehniner Platz"
Publisher: Film-Foto-Verlag, Berlin-Tempelhof; Nr. 14
Picture: below left: Schaubühne am Lehniner Platz|
Front Text: above left:"Am Bahnhof Zoo", right: "IDUNA-Haus", below left: "Die Schaubühne", right: "Kurfürstendamm"
Publisher:Kunst und Bild, Berlin; C 3243
Picture: interior without audience stands|
Front Text: "Mein 1. Mal...", "schaubühne berlin", "today's theater"
Publisher: Schaubühne am Lehniner Platz, Berlin / primecard
Type: advertisement card with a ticket order form for new costumers
|For other postcards of this theatre, see Berlin: Cards showing various theatres.|
Permanent link: http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/1685