Country: Germany (Deutschland)
Location: Steglitz, Schloßstraße 48 / Wrangelstraße 2
Built 1804 as horse stables and garden hall of the neighbouring palace, "Guthaus Steglitz" (later known as restaurant "Wrangelschlößchen").
1920-1921 converted to a theatre by Hans Heinrich Müller. Opened 12 May 1921 as "Schloßpark-Theater" with Shakespeare's "Timon of Athens". 1935-1945 used as a cinema.
1945 reconstruction. Re-opened 3 Nov 1945 with Curt Goetz's comedy "Hokuspokus". From 1950, operated by the city of Berlin. From 1951, part of the "Staatliche Schauspielbühnen Berlin", operated as "Kleines Haus" (with the "Schiller-Theater" as "Großes Haus"). Used for smaller drama performances, including many German premieres of international modern classics. Closed 1993. Re-opened 16 March 1995 as a private theatre with Shakespeare's "Richard III.". Used for drama and musical performances. Closed 2002.
Notable world premieres:
Front Text: "Berlin-Steglitz, Schloßpark Theater", on building: "Schlosspark Theater"|
Publisher: Kunst und Bild, Berlin
Type: Real Photo
Front Text: on building: "Schlosspark Theater"|
Reverse Text: Das Schloßparkthater in Stegliz"
Publisher: Martina Naschitzki, Berlin
Sent: from Berlin to Bernsdorf/Oberlausitz, 1998
For other postcards of this theatre, see Berlin: Cards showing various theatres.
To CARTHALIA Homepage.