|Berlin: Staatstheater Kleines Haus|
Country: Germany (Deutschland)
Location: Tiergarten, Nürnberger Straße 70-71 / Budapester Straße 35
Built 1911 as "Kurfürstenoper" by Hildenbrand and Nicolaus for the theatre director Jacob Epstein. Opened 8 December 1911 with Nicolai's "Die lustigen Weiber von Windsor". Used as an opera theatre and for arts and crafts exhibitions. 1091 seats (+ 40 standing).
1913 bought by the theatre director Max Epstein; rebuilding by Oskar Kaufmann. Re-opened 1913 as "Deutsche Künstler Theater-Sozietät". 1915 renamed "Deutsches Künstlertheater".
1935 nationalized and renamed "Staatstheater - Kleines Haus". Stagehouse and auditorium rebuilt. Subsequently used as a drama theatre by the "Staatschauspiel" state drama company (that used Schinkel's Schauspielhaus as "Großes Haus"). 1940 entrance hall and staircase rebuilt. 980 seats (+ 33 standing). Destroyed by bombs in 1943. Remains demolished in 1963.
[1983-1985 a bank office building was built on the site.]
Notable world premieres:
Front Text: "Berlin, Deutsches Künstlertheater, Nürnbergerstr. 70/71"; sign: "Deutsches Künstler-Theater"|
Publisher: Alt-Berlin Postkarten- u. Photoverlag, Ludwig Walter, Berlin; 1107
Type: Real Photo
|Permanent link: http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/1694|