Country: Germany (Deutschland)
Location: Mitte, Münzstraße
Built 1856-1859 by Eduard Titz (freely using designs by Carl Ferdinand Langhans) as a private theatre for Rudolph Cerf. Construction works stopped in 1858 because of financial problems. Subequently completed after a state intervention. The complex included two big auditoriums, "Sommertheater" (summer theatre, 1400 seats, opened 21 Dec 1859) and "Wintertheater" (winter theatre, 1432 seats, opened 1860), sharing a single stage. The two auditoriums and the stage could also be converted to a single big ballroom. Used for comedy, light drama, Italian opera, ballet, and revue performances. Also used as a guest venue, e. g. for gala performances of the Meiningen theatre, and the first Berlin performance of Wagner's "Der Ring des Nibelungen" by Angelo Neumann's opera company in May 1881. Closed on 31 Mar 1891 for financial reasons. Subsequently demolished.
Notable world premieres:
Front Text: "Alt-Berlin, Das Victoria-Theater um 1885 - Original im Märk. Prov.-Museum" [Berlin as it used to be - Victoria-Theater ca. 1885 - Original picture to be found in the Märkisches Provinz-Museum"´]|
Publisher: Verlag u. Eigenth. J. Spiro, Berlin SW. 12; Lichtdruck von Stange & Wagner, Berlin SO.
Type: Reproduction of a 1885 photograph, ca. 1900; Undivided Back
|Permanent link: http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/1701|