Bernburg: Carl-Maria-von-Weber-Theater

Country: Germany (Deutschland)
State: Sachsen-Anhalt
City: Bernburg
Location: Schloßstraße 20

Built 1825-1827 as "Herzogliches Schauspielhaus" by Johann August Philipp Bunge for Duke Alexius Friedrich Christian of Anhalt-Bernburg. Opened 2 Mar 1827. 1881 donated to the city of Bernburg. 1881-1882 major rebuilding and extension by Eduard Titz. Renamed "Städtisches Schauspielhaus" (also known as "Stadttheater"). Re-opened 4 Jan 1882 with Goethe's "Iphigenie auf Tauris". 1927-1928 rebuilding and extension. Re-opened 15 Apr 1928 with Mozart's "Le nozze di Figaro". 1827-1938 used for guest opera and drama performances by companies from neighbouring cities and by touring companies. 1938-1944 home to the "Landesbühne Magdeburg-Anhalt" company. Closed 1944 due to World War II. Re-opened 21 Oct 1945 as "Stadttheater" with Flotow's "Martha". 1951-1953 operated as "Salzlandtheater" together with the theatre of Staßfurt. 1954 renamed "Carl-Maria-von-Weber-Theater" in honour of the German composer, Carl Maria von Weber (1786-1826). Subsequently mainly used for opera performances by the resident company. 1957 alterations 1988-1992 operated together with the theatre of Wittenberg. 1993-1997 major renovations. Re-opened 28 Nov 1997 as a guest venue for opera and drama performances by touring companies. Until 1992: 386 seats, currently 344 seats.

Link: www.theater-bernburg.de

[Bernburg: Carl-Maria-von-Weber-Theater] Front Text: "Bernburg, Das Stadttheater"
Publisher: Kunstverlag Carl Friedrich Fangmeier, Magdeburg; "Aus den deutschen Landen"; 6
Size: Classic
Sent: from Bernburg to Oschersleben/Bode, 1942

[Bernburg: Carl-Maria-von-Weber-Theater] Front Text: "Bernburg/Saale, Carl-Maria-von-Weber-Theater"
Publisher: Verlag Lichtbild-Schincke KG, Zeitz; III/18/197 P 3/66
Size: Classic
Sent: from Bernburg to Erfurt, 1966


To CARTHALIA Homepage.