Country: Germany (Deutschland)
Location: Bad Godesberg, Kurfürstenallee 1 (near the former "Kurfürstliches Theater")
Built 1790-1792 as a ballroom, casino and concert hall for prince bishop Max Franz. Location of the first meeting of Ludwig van Beethoven and Joseph Haydn in July 1792. Closed 1819. Later used as a private home by the van der Heydt family, later as an art gallery, and after that as a boarding school. 1856 bought by the Wendelstadt family, who used the building as a private home, with their friends Johannes Brahms, Clara Schumann, Joseph Joachim and others participating in private chamber concerts. 1920 bought by the city of Godesberg. Used for concerts and exhibitions. Since 1953 used for official functions by the West German Foreign Ministery. Ca. 1972 major renovations. The building includes two halls - "Beethovensaal" (305 seats) and "Gartensaal" (170 seats) - and four function rooms. Currently used for private balls, functions, and small congresses.
Local Emergency Money (Landkreis Bonn, 1923)|
Front Picture: Redoute
Front Text: "Ansicht des Theaters und Redouten-Saales zu Godesberg"
Reverse Text: "Gutschein über 50 Milliarden Mark - Landkreis Bonn", "Umlauffähig im ganzen Regierungsbezirk Köln. Gültig bis zum 1. April 1924", dated 15 Oct 1923
Size: 14.6 x 8.6 cm
|Permanent link: http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/1722|