Celle: Schloßtheater

Country: Germany (Deutschland)
State: Niedersachsen
City: Celle
Location: Schloßplatz 1 (Schloß)

Built 1670-1674 by Giuseppe Arighini for Duke Georg Wilhelm of Braunschweig-Lüneburg. Probably opened 13 Feb 1674 with the ballet "Les amours de Mars et de Vénus". 1690 extension by a second balcony by Giuseppe Arighini. 1772-1774 damaged by French troups, subsequently rebuilt by Johann Dietrich Heumann. 1837 rebuilding by C. A. Vogell. 1855 redecoration by Fleck and Grube. Closed 1859. 1935-1938 renovation. While the decoration has been altered various times, the basic structure of the original 1674 auditorium is still visible. 330 seats.

1938-1945 used as a drama theatre. After World War II, occasionally used for guest performances by touring companies. Since 1957, used for drama performances by the resident "Celler Schloßtheater" company. 1966 installation of a studio stage in the "Malersaal".

Notable world premieres:

  • Wolfgang Hildesheimer: Die Uhren (18 Apr 1959)
  • Fernando Arrabal: Guernica (7 May 1960)

Link: www.schlosstheater-celle.de

[Celle: Schlosstheater] Front Text: "Blick in den Theaterraum"
Reverse Text: "Das alte Herzogsschloß in Celle"
Publisher: Verlag Photo-Kino Margraf, Celle
Type: Real Photo
Size: Classic
Not sent.

[Celle: Schlosstheater] Reverse Text: "3100 Herzogstadt Celle - Schloßtheater, ältestes, heute noch bespieltes fürstliches Barocktheater Deutschlands mit eigenem Ensemble"
Publisher: Schöning & Co + Gebrüder Schmidt, Lübeck; Bestellnr. Cel 254
Size: Modern
Not sent.


To CARTHALIA Homepage.