Eisenach: Theater Eisenach

Country: Germany (Deutschland)
State: Thüringen
City: Eisenach
Location: Theaterplatz 7

Built 1875-1878 as "Stadttheater" by Karl Weichardt, funded by a donation of Baron Julius von Eichel-Streiber to the city of Eisenach. Opened 1 Jan 1879 with Weber's "Jubelouverture" and Lessing's "Minna von Barnhelm". 1929 interior renovation. Damaged in World War II, subsequently repaired. Re-opened 7 Aug 1945 with Lessing's "Nathan der Weise". 1952-1953 roof and stagehouse rebuilding and modernization. 1977 major renovation. 1991 exterior renovation. Until 1992, used for opera, ballet and drama performances and for concerts by the resident companies. 1995-2003 one of the homes of the "Thüringer Landestheater" company (with the opera and ballet companies located in Eisenach and the drama company located in Rudolstadt, while all companies played in both cities and toured in the region). Since 2003, used for opera and ballet performances and for concerts by the resident companies, and used as a guest venue for drama performances by the Meininger Theater company. 635 seats.

Notable world premieres:

  • Richard Strauss: Tod und Verklärung (21 June 1890)
  • Richard Strauss: Burleske for piano and orchestra (21 June 1890)

Link: www.theater-eisenach.de

[Eisenach: Theater Eisenach] Reverse Text: "Eisenach, Landestheater"
Publisher: Bild und Heimat, Reichenbach (Vogtl.); V 11 50 A 1/B 63 67; 9 3374
Type: Real Photo
Size: Modern
Not sent.

[Eisenach: Theater Eisenach] Reverse Text: "Eisenach, Landestheater"
Publisher: Bild und Heimat, Reichenbach (Vogtl.); A1/III/26/13 So 1411/10
Size: Modern
Sent: from Eisenach to Hilden, 1990

Permanent link: http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/1810

CARTHALIA Homepage