|Leipzig: Gewandhaus (1781)|
Country: Germany (Deutschland)
Location: Universitätsstraße 16 / Kupfergäßchen / Neumarkt / Gewandgäßchen
Originally built 1498 as municipal armory ("Zeughaus"). 1st floor used as exhibition house for cloth makers ("Gewandhaus"). 1780-1781 installation of a concert hall in the 2nd floor by Johann Carl Friedrich Dauthe. Ceiling painting by Adam Friedrich Oeser. Opened 25 Nov 1781 with a concert by the orchestra "Das Große Conzert", later known as "Gewandhaus-Orchester". 1823 renovations. 1831 interior rebuilding and extension. 1842 major extension. 1872 renovations. Since the opening of the new "Konzerthaus" (also known as "Gewandhaus") in 1884, also known as "Altes Gewandhaus". 1781-1884 home to the "Gewandhaus-Orchester", used for a subscription concert series and for guest concerts. 1884-1886 only occasionally used for concerts. Original capacity: ca. 500 persons, after 1842: ca. 1000 persons. 1893-1901 concert hall demolished while the building was included in the new "Städtisches Kaufhaus" exhibition house complex by H. Licht (1897 opening of a new concert hall wihtin the "Städtisches Kaufhaus" complex).
Notable world premieres:
Front Text: "Das Gewandhaus"|
Reverse Text: "Felix Mendelssohn (German, 1809-1847), like Schoenberg and Gershwin, was a talented amateur artist as well as a composer. He made this watercolor of the Gewandhaus, the principal concert hall of Leipzig, in 1936 [typo, correct: 1836] for the album of Henriette Grabau. The music below the picture, also in Mendelssohn's hand, is from Cherubini's Ali Baba."
Publisher: Music Division, Library of Congress, Washington DC; Pomegranate, Rohnert Partk CA
Size: 12.0 x 16.3 cm
To CARTHALIA Homepage.