|Passau: Fürstbischöfliches Opernhaus|
Country: Germany (Deutschland)
Location: Innstraße 4
Built 1645 as "Ballhaus" (a building for indoor ball games). Destroyed by fire in 1683. Subsequently rebuilt. 1771-1774 conversion into a theatre. 1783-1786 major exterior and interior rebuilding by Johann Georg Hagenauer for Fürstbischof Joseph III. (Franz Anton Graf von Auersperg), with painted auditorium decoration by Franz Petzka and Habenstier. Re-opened ca. 1786 as "Fürstbischöfliches Opernhaus". 1796 renovations. 1820 repainting of auditorium. 1893-1895 alterations and renovations. 1908 electrification. 1926 installation of an iron curtain. From the 1920s until 1945 also used as a cinema. 1959-1961 major renovation to the original 1783 designs, renovation of the painted auduitorium decoration. Re-opened 11 Nov 1961 as "Fürstbischöfliches Opernhaus" with Cimarosa's "Il matrimonio segreto". 1989-1991 renovations and modernization of stage technology. Since the 19th century, also known as "Stadttheaer". Originally ca. 600 seats, today 350 seats.
Used for opera and drama performances by the "Südostbayerisches Städtetheater Passau/Landshut/Straubing" company.
Reverse Text: "Stadttheater Passau im ehemals fürstbischöflichen Opernhaus"|
Sent: from Passau to Wuppertal, 1976
To CARTHALIA Homepage.