Country: Germany (Deutschland)
Location: Hauptmarkt 27
Built 1522-1525 by Friedrich Schulthei▀ as "Gewandhaus", a municipal weights office and cloth warehouse. 1710-1720 first used as a theatre. 1812 complete rebuilding of the interior. Since 1823 officially known as "Stadttheater". 1855 rebuilding of the interior, addition of a theatre auditorium. Opened 13 November 1855 with BoiŰldieu's "La dame blanche". 1945 fašade damaged by bombs. 1949 rebuilding of the stagehouse. 1951 renovation of fašade, 1966 new fašade colour scheme. 1967-1975 extension by a rehearsal stage and technical facilities, new foyer, extension of the theatre restaurant. Re-opened 27 March 1975 with Goethe's "Urfaust". 1987 extension by a puppet theatre (120-180 seats) and a rehearsal stage. One of the homes of the "Theater Plauen - Zwickau". Used for opera and drama performances. 421 seats.
Front Text: "Zwickau Sa. - Stadttheater"|
Publisher: L. R.; Nr. 27
Type: Real Photo (?)
Sent: from Zwickau to Bohemia [postmark illegible, ca. 1920s-1930s]
Reverse Text: "Zwickau (Sa.), Stadt-Theater (Gewandhaus)"|
Publisher: Verlag Erhard Neubert KG, Karl-Marx-Stadt; 47388 N A 3/71 IV-14-45 B 14
Type: Real Photo
Sent: from Zwickau to Gelenau, 1973
Front Text: "Gewandhaus Zwickau", inscription: "Theater"|
Reverse Text: "O-9590 Zwickau - Freistaat Sachsen"
Publisher: Schumann Atelier fŘr Werbung, Reutlingen
To CARTHALIA Homepage.