|Bury St Edmunds: Theatre Royal|
Country: England, United Kingdom
Historic County: Suffolk
City: Bury St Edmunds
Location: Westgate Street
Built 1819 by William Wilkins for use with his own theatre company, the "Norwich comedians". Opened 11 Oct 1819. Closed 1903. 1906 re-opened after alterations by Bertie Crewe. 1920 bought by the local brewery, "Greene King". Closed 1925. Subsequently used as a barrel store by the brewery. 1960-1965 restorations after support for a re-opening by a local cititzens' group led by Air Vice-Marshall Stanley Vincent. Theatre consultant: Iain Mackintosh. Re-opened 1965. Since 1975, vested in the National Trust on a 999 year lease. Theatre Royal is the third oldest working theatre in the United Kingdom. Operated as an independent working theatre by the Bury St Edmunds Theatre Managment Ltd. Used for theatre performances throughout the year, and for an annual Christmas pantomime. Original capacity: ca. 800 persons, today: 350 seats.
Reverse Text: "Theatre Royal, Bury St Edmunds - Auditorium. Opened in 1819. The theatre was designed by William Wilkins, architect of the National Gallery. Closed for 40 years, it reopened successfully in 1965, and is now a classic example of a Georgian playhouse. A National Trust Property."|
Publisher: Woodmansterne Publications Ltd., Watford
Thanks to Colin Blumenau for providing information on the history of this theatre.
To CARTHALIA Homepage.