|Glyndebourne: Opera House (old)|
Country: England, United Kingdom
Historic County: Sussex
Built 1934 for John Christie. Opened 28 May 1934 with Mozart's "Le nozze di Figaro" (conducted by Fritz Busch). Originally 300 seats. 1951 extension of the auditorium (600 seats). 1977 extension of the auditorium (830 seats). Used for opera performances by the Glyndebourne Festival. Replaced by a new, larger theatre from 1988-1994.
Notable world premieres:
Picture: functional building including dressing-rooms, staff canteen etc. (the actual opera house was located behind)|
Front Text: "The Opera House, Glyndebourne"
Publisher: Reeves, Lewes
Type: Real Photo
To CARTHALIA Homepage.