|London: Adelphi Theatre (1901)|
Country: England, United Kingdom
City: London WC2
Location: The Strand
[1st theatre on the site built 1806 as "Sans Pareil". 1840 new fašade by Samuel Beazley. 1848 partial rebuilding by M. Digby Watt. 1858 renamed "Theatre Royal (New) Adelphi". 2nd theatre built 1858 by T. H. Wyatt and Stephen Salter. 1887 enlargement and new fašade by Spencer Chadwick. 1891-1893 alteratoins by W. B. Pinhay.]
3rd theatre on the site built 1901 by Ernest Runtz and Ford, incorporating parts of the 1858/1887 structure.
[Largely demolished 1930 in favour of the current "Adelphi Theatre" by Ernest Shaufelberg. Parts of the 1887 structure remain visible in the building neighbouring the current Adelphi Theatre to the right.]
Front Text: "Adelphi Theatre, London", inscription: "Adelphi Theatre", on canopy: "Adelphi"|
Publisher: E. F. A. London Theatre Series; No. 1004
Type: Divided Back
To CARTHALIA Homepage.