|London: NoŽl Coward Theatre|
Country: England, United Kingdom
City: London WC2
Location: St Martin's Lane (back to back with Wyndham's Theatre)
Built 1903 as "New Theatre" by W. G. R. Sprague for Charles Wyndham. Opened 12 Mar 1903 with the Louis N. Parker's and Murray Carson's play "Rosemary". In the 1930s, used for seasons of drama direceted by Sir John Gielgud. During World War II, used as a home to the Old Vic Company and the Sadler's Wells Ballet. After 1945, used as a drama theatre (with Laurence Olivier and Ralph Richardson as the leading actors). From 1960, also used for musical performances. Renamed "Albery Theatre" on 1 Jan 1973. Renamed "Noel Coward Theatre" on 1 June 2006 in honour of the British playwright and actor, NoŽl Coward (1899-1973). Operated by the Ambassador Theatre Group. 877 seats (+21 standing).
Linked by a bridge link to the Wyndham's Theatre at rear.
Notable world premieres:
Front Text: "The New Theatre, London", signs: "Julia Nelson"|
Publisher: E. F. A. London Theatre Series; No. 1004
Type: Divided Back
For another picture of this theatre, see London: "The Theatres of London".
To CARTHALIA Homepage.