|London: Islington Empire|
Country: England, United Kingdom
Borough: London Borough of Islington
Location: Islington, 40 Islington High Street
[First venue on the site built 1860 by William Finch Hill and Edward Lewis Paraire. Oened 1860 as "Philharmonic Hall". 1874 rebuilding, re-opened as "Philharmonic Theatre". Destroyed by fire. 1883 rebuilding by Frank Matcham. Re-opened 4 Aug 1883. Destroyed by fire. 1888 rebuilding again by Frank Matcham. Opened 1 Dec 1888 as "Grand Theatre" (3000 seats).]
1901 rebuilding again by Frank Matcham, using the facade of the former building. Interior decoration by Felix de Jong. Opened Jan 1901 as "Islington Empire Theatre". 1912-1918 renamed "Islington Palace Theatre". 1932 converted into a cinema, re-opened as "Empire Cinema". Damaged by fire on 7 Feb 1938. Repaired and re-opened 6 Feb 1939. Closed 10 March 1962. Auditorium subsequently demolished in favour of a car park (while still preserving the facade which was demolished in 1981 and translocated to the Museum of London). Only the backstage wall is still extant on the site.
Front Text: "The Islington Empire, London", signed: N. Charlesworth 1993|
Reverse Text: "Drawn by Nicholas Charlesworth"
Publisher: The Badger Press, Westbury; Vaudeville Postcards
|Permanent link: http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/4433|