|London: Lyceum Theatre|
Country: England, United Kingdom
City: London WC2
Location: Wellington Street / The Strand
[First "Lyceum" theatre operating from 1794 on an adjoining site. Demolished during the creation of Wellington Street.]
Built 1834 by Samuel Beazley. 1882 and 1884 partial rebuilding and alterations by C. J. Phipps. In the 19th century, managed by Sir Henry Irving during many years. 1904 major rebuilding by Bertie Crewe, retaining only the fašade and portico of the original building. 1919 minor alterations by Edward Jones. 1939 bought by the London City Council that had plans to demolish the building in favour of a road improvement. 1951 converted to a ballroom by Matthews and Sons. Re-opened 1951 as "Mecca Ballroom". 1996 reconversion into a theatre, rebuilding of stagehouse, auditorium restoration and redecoration, incorporation of adjoing building by Holohan Architects. Re-opened 1996 as a theatre. Used for musical performances, e. g. "The Lion King". 2000 seats.
[Other historical names of this theatre: "Theatre Royal", "English Opera House", "Royal Lyceum Theatre"]
Front Text: "The Lyceum Theatre, London - in the days of Irving"|
Reverse Text: Drawn by Nicholas Charlesworth
Publisher: The Badger Press, Westbury; Vaudeville Postcards
Folded Greeting Card|
Front Text: inscriptions: "Lyceum Theatre", "1834", poster: advertising the musical "The Lion King"
Reverse Text: "The Lyceum Theatre"
Publisher: Marion Steggles Collection, available at Dress Circle
Type: Real Photo
For another picture of this theatre, see London: "The Theatres of London".
To CARTHALIA Homepage.