|London: London Palladium|
Country: England, United Kingdom
City: London WC1
Location: Argyll Street / Great Marlborough Street
[First entertainment buildings on the site built 1868 by Owen Lewis as "Corinthian Bazar". 1871 converted to a circus building, renamed "Hengler's Grand Cirque". 1884 enlarged by C. J. Phipps, reopened as "National Skating Palace". 1902 converted to a panorama. Mostly demolished in 1910.]
Current structure built 1910 by Frank Matcham, using Lewis's 1868 fašade. Originally used as a music hall. Since 1921, used as a drama theatre. Later, used as a variety theatre. In the 1960s, location of the weekly TV variety show "Sunday Night At The London Palladium". 1996-1998 restorations and alterations by RHWL. Currently used as a musical theatre. 2298 seats.
Folded Greeting Card|
Front Text: inscription: "Palladium", signs: advertising "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"
Reverse Text: "The London Palladium"
Publisher: Marion Steggles Collection, available at Dress Circle
Type: Real Photo
|For another picture of this theatre, see London: "The Theatres of London".|
Permanent link: http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/1121