|London: Prince Edward Theatre|
|Country: England, United Kingdom
City: London W1
Location: Old Compton Street
Ticket 1 Nov 2002
Built 1930 as "Prince Edward Theatre" by Edward A. Stone (the exterior closely resembling his "Streatham Astoria" cinema). Interior design by Marc-Henri Levy and Gaston Laverdet. Opened 3 Apr 1930 with the musical "Rio Rita". Named in honour of Prince Edward (later King Edward VIII). 1935-1936 converted to a dinner/dance hall by Edward A. Stone. Re-opened 1936 as "London Casino", a cabaret restaurant with stage shows. 1942 stage alterations by Thomas Braddock. Re-opened 1942 as "Queensberry All Services Club". 1946 restored as a theatrey by T. and B. Braddock. 1946 re-opened as "London Casino" with "Mother Goose". 1954 converted to a cinema by T. and P. Braddock. Re-opened 1954 as "Castino Cinerama Theatre". 1978 restroed as a theatre by RHWL. Re-opened 1978 as "Prince Edward Theatre". 1992-1993 renovations and alterations by RHWL. Since 1978, used for performances of major musicals such as "Evita", "Chess", "Anything Goes", and "Mamma Mia!". 1622 seats.
Notable world premieres:
Folded Greeting Card|
Front Text: sign on canopy: "Prince Edward", poster: advertising the ABBA musical "Mamma Mia!"
Reverse Text: "The Prince Edward Theatre"
Publisher: Marion Steggles Collection, available at Dress Circle
Type: Real Photo
For another picture of this theatre, see London: "The Theatres of London".
To CARTHALIA Homepage.