London: St James' Theatre

Country: England, United Kingdom
City: London
Location: King Street / Duke Street

Built 1835-1836 as "St James' Theatre" by Sam Beazley for the tenor and theatre director, John Braham. Opened 14 Dec 1835 with a mixed programme of opera and two farces. 1840 renamed "Prince's Theatre". 1841 re-renamed "St James' Theatre". Subsequently mainly used for French drama performances, and by various theatrical companies of all kinds. 1869 renovations, rebuilding and redecoration by James Macintosh. 1879-1880 rebuilding and redecoration by Thomas Verity. Re-opened 9 Oct 1880 with W. G. Will's "Old Cronies and William and Susan". 1900 rebuilding by A. B. Jackson, J. Emblin-Walker, and Percy Macquoid. Demolished 1957 in favour of an office block.

[London: St James's Theatre] Front Text: "St James' Theatre, London", signs: "St James' Theatre", "Mr George Alexander"
Publisher: E. F. A. London Theatre Series; No. 1004
Type: Divided Back
Size: Classic
Not sent.

[London: St James's Theatre] Front Text: signs: "St James' Theatre", "Mr George Alexander", signature: "[?] Shephard"
Publisher: The Knight Series; No. 597
Type: Divided Back
Size: Classic
Not sent.


To CARTHALIA Homepage.