|London: Trafalgar Studios|
Country: England, United Kingdom
City: London SW1
Built 1930 by Edward A. Stone for Walter Hackett. Interior decoration by Marc-Henri Levy and Gaston Laverdet. Opened 29 Sep 1930 as "Whitehall Theatre" with Walter Hackett's "The Way to Treat a Woman". Originally used as a drama theatre. From 1942, used for Phyllis Dixey's revues. 1945-1969 used for farce performances (e. g. R. F. Delderfield's comedy "Worm's Eye View" that ran for 2245 performances from 1945). From 1971, used for a nude musical. In the late 1970s, unauthorised use as a tourist-trap war museum ("Theatre of War"). Saved as a theatre by public activity of the Theatres Trust and the Save London's Theatres Campaign. Ca. 1985 bought by the Maybox Group, restored and re-opened as a theatre. 2004 renamed "Trafalgar Studios". Operated by the Ambassador Theatre Group. Originally 635 seats, today 648 seats.
Folded Greeting Card|
Front Text: sign: "Whitehall Theatre", poster: advertising "Jack Docherty Show"
Reverse Text: "The Whitehall Theatre"
Publisher: Marion Steggles Collection, available at Dress Circle
Type: Real Photo
|For another picture of this theatre, see London: "The Theatres of London".|
Permanent link: http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/1142