|Cincinnati, OH: Music Hall|
Country: United States of America
Location: 1241 Elm Street
Built 1877-1878 by Samuel Hannaford, funded by Reuben Springer and public subscription. Organ by Hook & Hastings (6277 pipes). Originally intended for the biennial Cincinnati Music Festival and other symphonic and choral concerts. 1879 opening of two adjoining exhibition halls, Power Hall and Horticulture Hall. 1895-1896 conversion of Music Hall into an opera house (proscenium added). Re-opened May 1896. 1927 conversion of Power Hall into a wrestling arena, conversion of Horticulture Hall into Art Hall (for art exhibitions, automobile shows, functions). 1955 restorations. 1969-1972 major restoration and conversion of the complex into a performing arts center. Re-opened 24 June 1972 with Boito's "Mefistofele". 1974 declared National Historic Landmark. 1998 major restoration of Music Hall Ballroom (used for exhibtions and large receptions, capacity: up to 1300). Main auditorium also known as "Springer Auditorium". Originally 4200 seats, 1896: 3462 seats, today: 3397 seats.
Home to Cincinnati Opera, Cincinnati Ballet, the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra, and the annual May Festival (of choral music).
Front Text: "Music Hall, Cincinnati, Ohio."|
Publisher: Buck Pneumatic Stamp Co., Cincinnati
Type: Divided Back
Sent: from Pontiac MI to Albion MI, 1909
Postal Card with First Day Postmark (USA, 1978)|
Front Text: "The Music Hall"
Text on Printed Stamp: "The Music Hall, Cincinnati, Ohio"
Postmark: "Cincinnati OH - May 12 1978 - 45234"
Publisher: USPS, 1978; Sheky
|Permanent link: http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/1465|