|Columbus, OH: Ohio Theatre|
Country: United States of America
Location: 55, East State Street (opposite the Ohio State Capitol building)
Built 1928 as "Loew's Movie Palace" by Thomas W. Lamb. Interior decoration by Anne Dornan. Opened 17 March 1928. Originally used for live stage shows and as a cinema. Plans to demolish the theatre in the late 1960s could be stopped by a citzen's campaign "Save the Ohio" that, within a year, raised more than US$ 2 million for its rescue. 1969 purchased by the newly formed Columbus Association for the Performing Arts (CAPA), subsequently renovated. Renamed "The Ohio Theatre". Home to the Columbus Symphony Orchestra, BalletMet, and The Broadway Series, as well as more than 100 CAPA events each year, including classical, pop, and jazz artists, dance, theater, comedy, children's entertainment, and classic films. Current capacity: 2779 seats.
Reverse Text: "The Ohio Theatre, 29 E. State Street, Columbus, Ohio 43215 - View from the stage with Robert Morton Organ, right. Former Loew's movie palace (2,897 seats). Architect: Thomas W. Lamb. Opened March 17, 1928. Since August 1969 home of Columbus Association for the Performing Arts. Listed on National Register of Historic Places."|
Publisher: Aladdin Studio, Columbus OH
|Permanent link: http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/1470|