|New York, NY: American Theatre|
Country: United States of America
State: New York
City: New York
Location: 260-262 West 42nd Street / 644-648 Eighth Avenue / 245-259 West 41st Street
Built 1893 by Charles Coolidge Haight for T. Henry French. Opened 22 May 1893 with "The Prodigal Daughter". 1908 renamed "American Music Hall". Subsequently used for vaudeville shows. 1911 bought by Marcus Loew and renamed "Loew's American Theatre". Subsequently used for variety shows and as a cinema. 2064 seats. Demolished in 1930 after a fire.
Roof theatre: originally built as a roof garden. 1908 rebuilt as a theatre proper by Thomas Lamb for William Morris. 1911 bought by Marcus Loew and renamed "Loew's American Theatre". Subsequently used for variety shows and as a cinema. 1400 seats. Demolished in 1930 after a fire.
[Currently the site is used as a parking lot.]
Reverse Text: "Ted Mark's Big Sunday Night Concert, American Theatre, New York City, 1901-1902"|
Publisher: Museum of the City of New York; "On Stage"; Pomegranate, Rohnert Park CA
Type: card from a postcard book
To CARTHALIA Homepage.