New York, NY: David Geffen Hall

Country: United States of America
State: New York
City: New York
Location: Lincoln Center

Part of Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts. Built 1962 as "Philharmonic Hall" by Max Abramovitz. Opened 23 Sep 1962. Renamed "Avery Fisher Hall" on 18 Sep 1973 in honour of a major sponsor. 1976 major interior rebuilding by Philip Johnson and John Burgee; acoustical consultant: Cyril M. Harris. 1992 stage modifications by John Burgee. Home to the New York Philharmonic Orchestra. 2015 renamed "David Geffen Hall" in honour of yet another sponsor. 2742 seats.

Link: nyphil.org

[New York, NY: Lincoln Center - David Geffen Hall] Picture: Lincoln Center Fountain on Josie Robertson Plaza, in front of David Geffen Hall
Reverse Text: "Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts - Philharmonic Hall - Philharmonic Hall, shown here with the Lincoln Center Plaza Fountain in the foreground, was opened on September 23, 1962. More than 400 performances are given here yearly."
Publisher: Official Lincoln Center Post Cards by Dexter, West Nyack NY; DT-91623-B; 1964
Type: Divided Back
Size: Classic
Not sent.

[New York, NY: Lincoln Center - David Geffen Hall] Picture: Grand Promenade foyer
Reverse Text: "Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts - Philharmonic Hall - Richard Lippold's space sculpture, 'Orpheus and Apollo', extends the entire length of the 190-foot Grand Promenade of Philharmonic Hall. The 5-ton sculpture hangs from the ceiling by thin stainless steel cables and contains 190 sheets of highly polished copper alloy."
Publisher: Official Lincoln Center Post Cards by Dexter, West Nyack NY; DT-91625-B; 1964
Type: Divided Back
Size: Classic
Sent: from Bearsville NY to Grays, Essex (England), 1966

For more pictures of this concert hall, see Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts.

Permanent link: http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/1512

CARTHALIA Homepage