|New York, NY: Broadway Theatre|
Country: United States of America
State: New York
City: New York
Location: 1681-1685 Broadway / 226-240 West 53rd Street
Built 1924 as "B. S. Moss's Colony Theatre" by Eugene DeRosa for B. S. Moss. Opened 25 Dec 1924 with the movie "The Thief of Bagdad". Used for vaudeville shows, musical, drama and dance performances, and as a cinema. 1930 renamed "B. S. Moss's Broadway Theatre". Subsequently used for musical and drama performances. 1935-1942 used as a cinema. 1939 bought by the Shubert Organization. 1952-1954 again used as a cinema. 1974 auditorium redesign for Harold Prince's production of Leonard Bernstein's musical "Candide". Subsequently used for large-scale musicals, e. g. A. L. Webber's "Evita" (1567 performances), C.-M. Schönberg's "Les Misérables" (6680 performances at the Broadway Theatre and at the Imperial Theatre), or C.-M. Schönberg's "Miss Saigon" (4092 performances). Ca. 1990 major exterior rebuilding incorporating the theatre in an office skyscraper by Fox & Fowle. Originally 1890 seats, today 1752 seats.
Notable world premieres:
Folded Greeting Card|
Front Text: on sign: "Broadway", marquee: advertising the musical, "Blast!" [April - Sep 2001]
Reverse Text: "Opened in 1924 - The Broadway Theatre - On Broadway at 53rd St - west side of the street - seats 1752"
Publisher: MDesigns; Broadway Theatre Series
Size: 12.5 x 17.5 cm (folded)
To CARTHALIA Homepage.