|New York, NY: The Casino|
Country: United States of America
State: New York
City: New York
Location: 1404-1410 Broadway / 120-130 West 39th Street
Built 1882 by Kimball & Wisedall for Rudolph Aronson. Opened 21 Oct 1882 with Johann Strauß's "Das Spitzentuch der Königin" (The Queen's Lace Handkerchief). Mainly used for light opera and operetta performances. 1902 leased by the Shubert Brothers. Severely damaged by a fire in 1905. Subsequently rebuilt with auditorium, stage and orchestra pit alterations. Originally 875 seats, later 1458 seats. Demolished 1930 in favour of an office and apartment block.
Picture: the original auditorium before the 1905 rebuilding|
Reverse Text: "The Casino - New York City, 1900"
Publisher: Museum of the City of New York; "On Stage"; Pomegranate, Rohnert Park CA
Type: card from a postcard book
|Permanent link: http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/1517|