|New York, NY: Lunt-Fontanne Theatre|
Country: United States of America
State: New York
City: New York
Location: 1555 Broadway / 203-217 West 46th Street
Built 1910 as "Globe Theatre" by Carrer & Hastings for Charles Dillingham. Opened 10 Jan 1910 with George Ade and Gustave Luders's "The Old Town". 1416 seats. Used for musical performances. 1932 converted to a cinema. 1957-1958 rebuilt by Roche & Roche for Robert Dowling and the City Playhouses Group. Re-opened 5 May 1958 as "Lunt-Fontanne Theatre" with Dürrenmatt's "Besuch der Alten Dame" (The Visit), featuring Alfred Lunt and Lynne Fontanne in their Broadway farewell appearance. 1973 purchased by the Nederlander Organization.
Notable world premieres:
Cigarette Trading Card|
Picture: 46th Street façade
Front Text: "Globe Theatre, New York, Opened Jan 10th 1910"
Reverse Text: giving a short overview of the history of the theatre
Publisher: Between the Acts Little Cigars; Theatres Old and New Series
Size: 7.8 x 6.3 cm
To CARTHALIA Homepage.