|Melbourne: Her Majesty's Theatre|
Location: Exhibition Street
Built 1886 as "Alexandra Theatre" by Nahum Barnet. Opened 1 October 1886. 2500 seats. Known as "The Queen's Theatre" in 1897. Altered under architect William Pitt and re-opened as "Her Majesty's" 19 May 1901. Renamed "His Majesty's" 29 March 1924. Auditorium destroyed by fire 1929. Stage used as a movie studio until rebuilding. Rebuilt 1934 by Walkeley and Hollished. Re-opened 1934, again as "His Majesty's" (1600 seats). 1953 renamed "Her Majesty's". For virtually all the 20th century this theatre was Melbourne's leading house for large scale musicals. Also used for opera performances (including performances by Nellie Melba and Joan Sutherland) and ballet performances (including performances by Anna Pavlova). Unti 2002, rebuilding of stage house and fly tower. Re-opened 8 May 2002 with "The Hollow Crown", performed by the Royal Shakespeare Company.
Front Text: "Her Majesty's Theatre, Exhibition Street, Melbourne - greetings from Melbourne"|
Type: Applied Metal Scripture; Divided Back
Sent: from Melbourne to Indianapolis IN (USA), 1908
Thanks to Frank van Straten for providing information on the history of this theatre.
To CARTHALIA Homepage.