Fritz Wunderlich Recital
- Fritz Wunderlich, Berliner Symphoniker, cond. Berislav Klobucar, rec. at Berlin, 1960-06-27 - 1960-06-28; from "FW in 9 Opernpartien"
- Mozart - Così fan tutte: Der Odem der Liebe (Un'aura amorosa) K. 588
- Die Entführung aus dem Serail: Konstanze, dich wiederzusehen ... O wie ängstlich K. 384
- Die Zauberflöte: Dies Bildnis ist bezaubernd schön K. 620
- Verdi - Rigoletto: Freundlich blick' ich (Questa o quella)
- Rigoletto: O wie so trügerisch (La donna è mobile)
- La Traviata: Ach, ihres Auges Zauberblick (De'miei bollenti spiriti )
- Fritz Wunderlich, Bayerisches Staatsorchester, cond. Hans Müller-Kray, rec. 1962-11-26 - 1962-11-28, from "Komm, holde Dame"
- Donizetti - L'Elisir d'amore: Heimlich aus ihrem Auge (Una furtiva lagrima)
- Fritz Wunderlich, Bayerisches Staatsorchester, cond. Hans Moltkau, rec. 1962-11-21 - 1962-11-23, from "Freunde, das Leben..."
- Kálmán -
- Die Zirkusprinzessin: Zwei Märchenaugen
- Künneke - Die große Sünderin: Das Lied vom Leben des Schrenk
- Lehár - Der Zarewitsch: Wolgalied
- follow links for cast lists and rec. details
- John B Steane in "Gramophone", 1/1989: "Those whom the gods love … They would certainly be fortunate to recruit Fritz Wunderlich to the ranks of the Elysian choir, for he had (nearly) all those qualities to make the world love its tenors, and (almost) none of the faults for which other musicians have been known to curse them. More particularly he exhibited none of the less likeable characteristics of the German tenor. Though there is no mistaking his nationality when he sings in operetta, his finest art in this collection is heard in two solos, both sung in German but one Italian, the other Russian. The Boheme narrative is warm with romantic charm, the Eugene Onegin infinitely touching in its sadness. In these he shows an imaginative involvement that is absent from his Donizetti solo, as it is from the Mozart arias. But even when his performances lack interpretative interest, there is still the pleasure of listening to a tenor voice of rare beauty, produced with a still rarer natural-sounding rightness. The recordings, now in generally better sound, are all among those included in his LP boxed set (EMI EX290988-3), a good selection too, though room should have been made for 'Komm, o holde Dame'.
Wunderlich died after a fall seven days before his 36th birthday, 22 years ago: the name of his successor is not on the tip of my tongue."
|If you know this recording, feel free to add your own comment!|
|EMI CDC 7 47685 2
Fritz Wunderlich Discography