|Berlin: Komische Oper|
Country: Germany (Deutschland)
Location: Mitte, Behrenstraße 55/57
[The first theatre on the site was built in 1764 as the first private theatre in Berlin. It was the location of the world premieres of Goethe's "Götz von Berlichingen" and Lessing's "Nathan der Weise". Closed 1786. Later occasionally used for variety performances.]
Built 1891-1892 as "Theater Unter den Linden" by Ferdinand Fellner & Hermann Helmer for Aktien-Bauverein "Unter den Linden". Auditorium sculptures by Theodor Friedl. Opened 24 Sep 1892 with Adolf Ferron's operetta "Daphne" and Gaul and Haßreiter's ballet "Die Welt in Bild und Tanz". Used mainly as an operetta theatre, and for various events and balls. Stalls: 800 seats; balconies and various en-suite dinner rooms: ca. 1700 seats. Closed 1896 after the directors went bankrupt.
1898 minor interior renovations. Re-opened 3 Sep 1898 as "Metropol-Theater" with Julius Freund's revue "Paradies der Frauen" (music by Julius Einödshofer and Bertrand Sänger). Subsequently used as a variety theatre. 1928 alterations and technical modernization by Alfred Grenander. Closed 1933.
1934 nationalized and renamed "Staatliches Operettentheater". Subsequently operated as part of the Nazi "Kraft durch Freude" programme. Stagehouse damaged by bombs on 7 May 1944. Subsequently provisional repair works. Façade, entrance hall, and auditorium ceiling painting destroyed by bombs on 9 Mar 1945.
Feb 1946 - Dec 1947 repair works and provisional rebuildings. Re-opened 23 Dec 1947 as "Komische Oper" with Johann Strauß's "Die Fledermaus". Various alterations and extensions throughout the 1950s. 1965-1966 rebuilding of the exterior to modern designs and functional extensions by Architektenkollektiv Kunz Nierade. Re-opened 4 Dec 1966 with Mozart's "Don Giovanni". 1986 restoration of the auditorium. 1987 extensions. 1989 modernization of stage technology. 1270 seats.
Since 1947, home to the resident "Komische Oper" opera company that was founded and directed by Walter Felsenstein until his death in 1975, spezializing on German-language productions of opera, operetta and musicals. 1966-2004 also home to a resident ballet company (first as "Tanztheater der Komischen Oper", from 1999 as "BerlinBallett - Komische Oper").
[NB: The theatre is not identical to the "Theater unter den Linden" that operated 1933-1945 in the former "Kleines Theater" at Unter den Linden 44. Neither is it identical to the "Metropol-Theater" that operated in the former Admiralspalast from 1955 into the 1990s. Furthermore, today's "Komische Oper" has no connection to the "Komische Oper" (an der Weidendammer Brücke) that operated from 1905 into the 1920s as an opera theater, later as an operetta theatre, and finally as a revue theatre.]
Notable world premieres:
Front Text: "Gruss aus dem Metropol-Theater Berlin", caption of left picture: "Aracadia"|
Publisher: Verlag von G. Pfau, Pankow
Type: Undivided Back
Sent: within Berlin, 1901
Front Text: "Salon 1905. - Max Schlichting. - Au Théâtre Métropol, à Berlin"|
Type: Divided Back (reproduction of a painting by Max Schlichting, 1866–1937)
Sent: from Chateauroux (France) to Bergerac (France), 1905
Picture: below left: Komische Oper|
Front Text: "Berlin - Hauptstadt der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik"
Reverse Text: "1. Humboldt-Universität, 2. Interhotel 'Unter den Linden', 3. Komische Oper, 4. Blick vom Strausberger Platz zur Karl-Marx-Allee"
Publisher: VEB Bild und Heimat, Reichenbach i. V.; V/1/20/A 1/90/70 6046
Front Text: "Komische Oper - Berlins Musiktheater"|
Publisher: Komische Oper, Berlin
Reverse Text: "Zuschauerraum der Komischen Oper Berlin"|
Publisher: Komische Oper, Berlin
|Permanent link: http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/1662|