Country: Germany (Deutschland)
Location: Ballhofplatz 4
Built 1649-1664 as a ballhouse (for the jeu de paume game) and dancing hall for Duke Georg Wilhelm von Braunschweig-Lüneburg (1624-1705). From 1667 used as a theatre. 1779-1780 rebuilding of the hall by Johann Georg Taentzel. 1919-1922 site of the "National-Theater-Restaurant", a hotspot of gay nightlife. 1936-1939 rebuilding by Wolfram von Erffa and conversion to a Hitlerjugend (Hitler Youth) meeting place. After the destruction of the sate opera and the state drama theatre, used as interim home for the state theatre ensembles. 1973-1974 rebuilt and converted to a theatre proper (300 seats). 1990 addition of the studio theatre "Ballhof zwei" (130 seats). Until the opening of the new Schauspielhaus in 1992 the Ballhof was the main venue of the state drama company. Since then, the two theatres are used as venues for youth opera and theatre by the state theatre ensembles.
Picture: left: Ballhof, center, background: Marktkirche tower, right: neighbouring timber-framed house|
Front Text: "Hannover, Ballhof mit Marktkirche"
Publisher: LUX-Ansichtskarten-Verlag, Hannover
Type: Real Photo
Sent: from Hannover to Löhne, 1966
To CARTHALIA Homepage.