|London: Aldwych Theatre|
Country: England, United Kingdom
City: London WC2
Location: Aldwych / Drury Lane
Built 1905 by W. G. R. Sprague for Seymour Hicks and Charles Frohmann, as one of a pair of a similar, though not identical theatres to each side of the not yet built Waldorf Hotel (the other being the "Waldorf Theatre", 1909 renamed "Strand Theatre", now the "Novello Theatre"). Opened Dec 1905 with Seymour Hicks's musical comedy "Bluebell in Fairyland". From 1925-1933 used for performances of Ben Traver's farces, also known as "The Aldwych Farces". From the mid-1930s until ca. 1960 owned by the Abrahams family. Used for drama performances with world famous actors (e. g. Vivian Leigh in Tennesee Williams's "A Streetcar Named Desire"). 1960 interior alterations. From 15 Dec 1960 to 1981, home to the Royal Shakespeare companies. Also home of Peter Daubeny's World Theatre Season. 1963 interior redecoration and alterations. 1971 seating alterations. Restored after the Royal Shakespeare Company moved to the newly-built Barbican centre in 1981. Currently operated by Michael Codron Plays Ltd. Used for drama performances that often involve with world famous actors, and for musical performances. Originally 1092 seats, today 1176 seats.
Notable world premieres:
Front Text: "Aldwych Theatre, London", inscription: "Aldwych Theatre", signs: "Ellaline Terriss - Seymour Hicks"|
Publisher: E. F. A. London Theatre Series; No. 1004
Type: Divided Back
Front Text: "District Messengers Reserving Places at the Theatre", on poster (hardly legible): "Aldwych ... Ellaline Terriss", on doors: "Gallery 1", "Pit 2'6"|
Reverse Text: "The best way to obtain a good seat in the pit of a theatre is to hire a District Messenger to retain a place. As many as 150 messengers have been engaged in one day for this purpose. Time is money, and time saved in this way is invaluable."
Publisher: Raphael Tuck & Sons; Oilette 9424
Type: Divided Back
Sent: within London, 1907
Front Text: "The Aldwych Theatre, London"; on marquee: "Blondel"; signed: "N.C."|
Reverse Text: "Adlwych Theatre, Aldwych, Strand. Developed by the actor Seymour Hicks and opened on 23 Deceember 1905. Architect: W. G. R. Sprague. Famous for the Adlwych Farces of the 1920's and 30's. Home of The Royal Shakespeare Company in London from 1960-1982. Capacity: 994. - Drawn by Nicholas Charlesworth"
Publisher: The Badger Press, Westbury; Vaudeville Postcards
|For other pictures of this theatre, see London: Gaiety Theatre and London: "The Theatres of London".|
Permanent link: http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/1079